4-Year-Old Dies After Eating THIS Common Spice

Most parents would do anything to keep their child safe. They put up toddler gates, baby-proof electrical outlets and other parts of their home to make sure that their child can play without fear of something bad happening. But sometimes, something unexpected happens in the blink of an eye.

Four-year-old Matthew Radar was busy being a four-year-old. He was goofing around in the house, climbing on things and having fun, when he found he spice cabinet. He began playing with the spices inside when his mother, Brianna, saw him convulsing.

After being rushed to the hospital, Matthew passed away. His death was ruled an accident, caused by cinnamon asphyxiation. The very spice that your put in your oatmeal, hot chocolate and other treats caused a little boy to have a seizure, and it was deadly.

If you’re an avid internet user, you may have heard of a game floating around the internet called “The Cinnamon Challenge.” Tweens, teens and adults alike attempt to swallow a big spoonful of cinnamon. For no other reason than just to see if they can do it. The challenge is to swallow a spoonful of cinnamon within 60 seconds, without drinking any water. The dryness of the cinnamon usually causes the person to cough it back up before they have a chance to swallow it down. Participants have been posting videos of the cinnamon challenge all over social media to get a few laughs, but the truth is, it’s extremely dangerous.

The Dangers of Eating Too Much Cinnamon

After the cinnamon challenge hit the internet, doctors saw a surge of hospitalizations and calls to poison centers. Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency medical physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, warns of the dangers associated with the popular prank. “This is a dangerous practice which can result in choking, aspiration of cinnamon powder into the lungs, and even respiratory failure requiring a ventilator in extreme cases.”

Glatter went on to explain that the cinnamon challenge can quickly turn deadly as a result of lack of oxygen to the brain while choking. So how exactly can a household spice have the potential to be deadly? Cinnamon is made from tree bark. It contains cellulose fibers that don’t break down easily. When cinnamon gets into the lungs, it can cause lung inflammation and scarring.

Cinnamon may be a great addition to your food in small doses, but inhaling it can prove deadly. It’s important to make sure your kids understand the dangers of the cinnamon challenge. It may seem like harmless fun, but trying it just once can change a life forever.

Watch the video below for more information on the dangers of the cinnamon and why you should keep it away from children.

Sources:

CBS News
New York Times
Daily Mail

Check Also

This is The Crystal You Should Have, According To Your Zodiac Sign

Everyone has a crystal that they should own and carry every day and your Zodiac ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *